Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rainy Day

Molly finally got brave and had her ears pierced last night. We tried to do this a few weeks ago and she got in the chair and chickened out.
It rained all day so Molly played Wii a lot. It is hilarious to watch her play. I hear a lot of "Oh COME ON!!!!"
OK back to the rain. We got so much rain a lot of the streets in town were flooded. I had to take an alternate route when I took Molly to ESL class. It was also a bummer because my friend who is originally from Barbados was going to come over and braid Molly's hair today. She sent a text that the streets were too flooded and we rescheduled for tomorrow. Molly can braid her own hair but she doesn't like how it looks. She was really excited that my friend was going to be doing her hair but she will have to wait one more day.
Last night we took the girls bowling. If that wasn't a hoot. We all discovered that we are way better Wii bowlers than the real thing. We used a bumper lane
because of Hannah but honestly I don't think we needed it for her (but the rest of us needed it) she did pretty good and I think she actually got the highest score once. Molly was shocked at how heavy the balls were and couldn't or wouldn't hold by her fingers. She just held it in both arms and kind of flung it down the lane...it was funny. Hannah would just push the ball and it took like forever to actually reach the pins but each time she would get this incredible pin action. I think I will try her version next time...it seems to work.
Just want to share a bit about Molly's progress. Yesterday marked 2 months since "Gotcha Day" in Ethiopia. She has done so well in the transition and I am truly amazed at her progress. Yes she went through a period of grieving so many losses she would just hold me tight in her bed at night and cry. I would pray and then let her pray in Amharic and she would quit crying and go to sleep peacefully. This went on most nights for the first month. She still will not sleep in her room without her sister but that is OK. It actually works to my advantage because if they are rough housing (as much as girls do that) I can threaten that if they don't settle down and go to sleep Hannah will have to go sleep in her room...instant quiet and they go to sleep. Her English is really coming along. Her ESL teacher is awesome and Molly loves to go to class. She has a hard time pronouncing some sounds but I totally understand that as I have tried to learn Mandarin and Amharic and my mouth/tongue just don't work the right way sometimes....it's like Yoga for the mouth.
There are a couple of problems we are having with Molly and I think one might be a misunderstanding in translation and the other a 10 yr. old not getting her way. The first involves friends she has made with our neighbors down the street...she loves playing with their kids and when they are not home she has a major melt down...cry cry cry. Solution...ignore her behavior, let it go and soon she is her happy self and ready to join the family.
Gotta Go...Awesome husband has been off for 2 days and just called me to supper (isn't that what you do to kids?). Yummy Halibut he caught in Alaska.
Blessings,
Bliss

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love updates. This is such an amazing story. I'm really glad Molly is adjusting, I don't think I would have transitioned as well as she did if I were in her shoes. Youre an amazing mom!