Saturday, May 23, 2009

Still Adjusting

Molly braided Danielle our baby sitter's hair this morning. Aren't they cute???


So we continue to adjust as a family of four. We have mostly good days. Molly is a very pleasant and affectionate girl who has had to endure so much change in the last month. She is still in a period of grief. We get some nights that are just splendid and she goes to bed with no tears but then there are nights like last night that are virtually a nightmare. She just cried her little eyes out and I think she actually said she wanted to go back to Ethiopia. Of course she does...I completely understand. I daily put myself in her shoes thinking to myself I would be a complete mess as I don't do well with any kind of change little less being plucked from my country put in a new family and environment/culture where I don't speak the language. How scary would that be for any adult and she is only 10 maybe 11...not a good age for such changes. Don't get me wrong...she is doing awesome all things considered. She had to endure the chicken pox shortly after we returned to the US...that was tough as she got pretty sick and then her sister got the chicken pox and I had to be more attentive to her. I am glad that she is bonding with me very well...she just wants me hold her while she grieves and hugs me with a smile each morning...no matter how bad things may have gone the previous night. I am thanking you all for your prayers because things are really going better than I expected this early on. The girls get along so well...although we had one incident today. Hannah came running to me in tears saying her big sister pinched her. Which I know was true because Molly said I'm sorry...but I think she was just playing and actually pinched Hannah on one of chicken pox....ouch.

One of our fellow AWAA families have hooked us up with a lovely Christian Ethiopian woman from DC that is willing to interpret for us. This will be a big help especially in the coming weeks as Molly has a physical scheduled for next week and the dentist the week after that.

OK I hope things go well tonight as I opted out of a family dinner at his brother's house. I felt so tired I just wanted a couple of hours of alone time to recharge my Mama batteries. Molly didn't not seem excited about me not going...so we will see.

Blessings,
Bliss

3 comments:

Kari said...

Bliss, you compassion and empathy and validation is just what precious Mahlet needs!! You are so amazing. We continue to pray that her nights are sweet.
Keep us updated:)
xoxo

Bliss said...

Thanks Kari,
You are such a great encourager.
Bliss

me said...

I'm coming over to have her do my hair. And Bekah's and Abby's and Mia's too. I see a hair salon in Mia. Molly, and Hannah's future. They can call it Hannah Mia Molly's Hair.
Your doing great sister! It's not easy having change, look at me, I miss California so much, but when I do go back, I can't wait to leave because I have moved on and am now an East Coaster, except I'm not rude, just very LOUD! :) Like you said, it's only been a month, in time, you will have a well adjusted child. Why don't you try to cook something she ate in Ethiopia? Find a recipe on line and just make it for her. Something to embrace her past to let her know you know. I don't know why I bother making suggestions, you are super smart and do such wonderful things without my two cents of bossy mama! Love you bunches sister! Nancy Lee