Thursday, April 2, 2009

Amazing How God Works

I just want to really share this with you all. It is the amazing story of how Mahelet became the newest member of the Rovang family.



Jones Family Story

When I saw Mahelet on the waiting children's list I was struck as if by lightning. The connection I felt with her can only be described as supernatural. It did not come from within me, but from God. I know that beyond any doubt. In fact, my husband and children fell instantly in love with her as well. We knew that this girl MUST have a family and we were in prayer as to whether we would have that honor. In the meantime, I contacted Duni and begged for AW to make an age range exception for our family to adopt this girl. Several phone calls and many tears later, AW agreed to make an exception IF our social worker would agree. Unbeknownst to us, AW put Mahelet on hold for us, meaning no one could adopt her while we were reviewing her case. Our social worker all but refused to approve us for a girl this old. No matter how many frustrating conversations we had with her, it always came down to two central issues: our ages and our children's ages. It would be terribly unwise, she cautioned. We were devastated, wondering why God would so obviously put this girl in our hearts and lives if we weren't going to be able to adopt her. Finally, we decided that we would get a new social worker and re-do everything if need be, but Mahelet would have a family!Meanwhile, I saw a thread post to the YG. For one thing, I hardly ever read the threads if they weren't about referrals and travel because of time constraints. Secondly, I didn't even recognize Bliss's name so that would normally mean I surely wouldn't read the post. Yet, something about her simple subject line requesting prayer caused me to stop and read it. Her post said how deeply disappointed she was that a certain 11 year old girl who they had fallen in love with on the waiting children's list was being held for another family. Immediately, I realized that this girl was Mahelet and that family holding her was us!! Remember, I did not even know they were holding her!I instantly knew what the Lord had done- He caused us to pray for and seek out Mahelet because she needed to be held for her family! If she hadn't been held at that time, Mahelet might never have been adopted- in fact, she had already been moved out of the orphanage and out of the city! Bliss can explain her part to you, but it became obvious after I contacted Bliss that those prayers our family was lifting up for Mahelet were directly affecting the Rovang family's hearts!!! Our God is a miracle working God!! Although it was very difficult letting go of our desire to bring Mahelet into our family, we KNEW the Rovangs were supposed to be Mahelet's family from the moment we read Bliss's post. Never think for a moment that each of our steps are not ordered of the Lord. We are just honored to be even a small part of this beautiful little girl being united with her family!!!

The Jones family's daughter Nya was delivered to the Transition Home the month they let go of Mahelet.

Nya Abrihet Jones


The Rovang Family Story
When we began our journey of a second adoption we began by pursuing another infant from China. After a couple years we felt God telling us he didn't need us in China but there was a child in Ethiopia that needed a family. So we dropped out of the China program and started our pursuit of an infant in ET. We saw Mahelet's photo on the "Waiting Children's" list. We both agreed that she was the one for our family. There was just an instant love in our hearts for this girl. We prayed about it and then called Terra to let her know we were interested in reviewing her file. She never mentioned another family at this time. I got a call back a few days later and was told we could not pursue Mahelet because our daughter was only 4 and this would be breaking the birth order. I was completely devastated. I'm the type of person that usually accepts a no when I hear it, but I could not let this one go. I called back and talked to Susan Maines (AWA Director) who I had served with on a mission trip in China back in 2004. She said she remembered my connection will all the older children while we were at the orphanage. She said she would talk to Duni about the matter. Duni called me the next day to say that after visiting with Susan and because of our ages (just the opposite of Jones) they would allow us to pursue Mahelet. Then I got the BUT there is another family that is wanting to review her file. Oh so maybe this is God closing a door. I posted on YG about the situation and then got a call from Amber saying they were that family. She explained because of all the issues they were having they would back out and let us pursue Mahelet. I was completely stunned (and am in tears right now as I think back to that call). OK, that door that I thought was closed was now swung wide open. So I contacted Terra as soon as I knew the Jones family had withdrew their request. So we moved forward. Here is where God worked on me. Remember we began this process seeking an infant because I still wanted an infant as well as Mahelet. I had a conversation with Terra about this and she basically said if you want an infant than we would have to refuse Mahelet's referral and just wait until a referral of an infant and then see if Mahelet was still available. My heart was just breaking inside as I so had the desire for an infant but at the same time not wanting to take a chance of losing Mahelet. I went to bed that night and had a wonderful conversation with my Heavenly Father for most of the night. In the end he told me this adoption was not about what I wanted but what he was calling us as a family to do. I woke up that morning with such a peace and no longer a desire for an infant. I emailed Terra and let her know I had total peace with the decision we would make. Two days later we had our referral for Mahelet and without a doubt in our minds we accepted it. We did know that Mahelet had previously turned down a family in Europe saying "my family is in the US and I just have to wait for them". I do believe this is why the judge wanted to talk to her. Here is where this story gets really exciting. The Jones family got there referral for Nya way before we got Mahelet's. Our original court date was May 8 but got moved up to March 26th...same court date as the Jones family (we were the only 2 AWA families that day). And now we will be traveling together and will meet Mahelet together. AMEN

5 comments:

Sherry said...

LOVE, LOVE LOVE this beautiful story! What an amazing picture of how God works providentially to accomplish his plans. None of this is coindence. It is a beautifully written story by the greatest author of all time! Blessings, Sherry

Kelly said...

Hi Bliss!! I loved your story!! I just wanted to tell you that I remember your daughter. She is quite the leader at the transition home!! There were so many kids there, but I remember her specifically as she was very bright and would translate a little for me when I was trying to speak to the other kids... what a blessing!!!!

me said...

OK, I have goose bumps! God is so good! Love you guys so much! Nancy Lee

Holly said...

wow!! awesome how God sometimes lets us see a glimpse of what He's doing!! and I LOVE your precious Mahelet! She's an amazing little girl!!

Kari said...

What an amazing miracle story!! Mahelet will cherish her journey to her forever family!!! We are honored that we had the blessing of hugging & loving on your daughter in ET!!
She has a spirit of love way beyond her years.
We are praying for you!
xoxo